Lexington and Burlington Enforcement & Contempt of Court Attorneys

Enforcing Family Law Judgments in Massachusetts

If you are not receiving the child support your child is entitled to, you are being denied visitation, or your ex-spouse is not living up to the financial arrangements you made when you got divorced, you have rights, and a skilled attorney can help you enforce those rights.

At Kajko, Weisman & Colasanti, LLP, we use contempt of court proceedings and other methods to enforce family law judgments. Contact us for a free, confidential consultation with an attentive lawyer. We have offices in Lexington and Andover.

Pursuing Contempt of Court Motions

The primary enforcement mechanism for divorce judgments, child custody and support decrees, and temporary orders is to have the person who is not complying held in contempt of court. Parties to these judgments can be held in contempt for reasons such as:

  • Failing to pay child support or alimony
  • Refusing to give up the child for scheduled parenting time
  • Breaching the terms of the property settlement

When someone is found to be in contempt of court, the judge has several options, up to and including sending that person to jail. If you hire a lawyer to pursue a contempt motion and you are successful, the other party can also be required to pay your attorneys' fees.

Exploring All of Your Enforcement Options

There are a number of other enforcement strategies our attorneys can pursue, depending on the facts of each case. For child support, there is also a state child support enforcement agency. However, this process can be much slower than hiring a private attorney.

If your ex-spouse or your child's other parent is not doing what he or she is supposed to do, we can help you understand and pursue your enforcement options. We also defend clients who have been targeted in enforcement actions. Contact us today to discuss your case.