Lexington and Burlington Modification & Interstate Removal Attorneys

Adapting Child Custody and Support to Changed Circumstances

If you are unable to pay child support, you want to move out of state with your children, or you have any other reason for seeking a change to your current child custody and support arrangements, you will need to get court approval for a modification to the existing orders.

At Kajko, Weisman & Colasanti, LLP, our attorneys represent parents in all types of child custody and support modification cases. Contact us for a free, confidential consultation with a knowledgeable lawyer. We have offices in Lexington and Andover.

Pursuing Modifications to Parenting Time, Child Support and More

Any aspect of a divorce or paternity decree involving children in Massachusetts can be modified by the court if the underlying circumstances have changed significantly.

For child custody, that means that the current arrangement no longer serves the best interests of the child. For child support, that means that one or more of the factors relevant to the child support formula have changed. Common modification circumstances include:

  • Your income has decreased by more than 20 percent.
  • You need a ruling on how to pay for your child's college education.
  • You want more parenting time with your children.
  • You are worried that the other parent is not taking proper care of your children.

A large portion of our firm's family law practice is devoted to child custody and support modification cases. We represent parents seeking modification as well as parents who wish to oppose modification requests.

What Happens When One Parent Wants to Take the Child Out of State?

Another major issue that can impact child custody modification is one parent's desire to move out of Massachusetts with the child. This is called interstate removal, and it must be approved by the court based on the best interests of the child. This can be a hotly contested issue.

We represent parents seeking to move away with their children as well as those whose parental rights would be harmed by relocation. Don't hesitate to contact us to discuss your concerns about interstate removal or any other child custody or support modification issue.