Kajko, Weisman & Colasanti, LLP

What happens if my spouse files for divorce overseas?

If you are preparing to divorce your spouse, all sorts of issues may lie ahead, such as determining how much child support you will be required to pay or eligible to receive and whether a parent will be granted custody of your child. However, there are many other divorce matters that could affect you, such as splitting up with your spouse while they are living in another country. Whether you reside in Boston, or any other Massachusetts city, it is crucial to approach these circumstances correctly.

Typically, divorces obtained in foreign countries are recognized in U.S. states, according to the U.S. Passports and International Travel's website. Since marriages and divorces are typically handled at the state level, the agency recommends that you reach out to the attorney general in your state. If you or your partner file for divorce while overseas, your divorce will likely be recognized so long as you and your spouse each had a chance to be heard at the proceeding and you were both notified of the divorce beforehand.

There are a number of reasons why American marriages are ended in a foreign country. For example, you or your spouse may be working abroad or you have moved to another country and wish to split up with your spouse. Regardless of the individual features of your situation, approaching the divorce process properly is particularly critical under these conditions.

Please bear in mind that this post was composed for general informational purposes and does not amount to legal counsel.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Lexington Office
430 Bedford Street, Suite 390
Lexington, MA 02420

Phone: 978-296-5107
Fax: 781-861-1833
Lexington Law Office Map

Nashua Office
98 Spit Brook Road
Suite 1105
Nashua, NH 03062

Phone: 781-325-1786
Fax: 603-324-5101
Map & Directions

Andover Office
68 Main Street, Suite 4
Andover, MA 01810

Phone: 781-325-1786
Map & Directions