Kajko, Weisman & Colasanti, LLP

Can unpaid child support affect my passport?

If you are unable to make your child support payments on time, you could be affected in many ways. For example, you may have your wages garnished or you could even spend time behind bars. In Boston, Massachusetts, and across the U.S., those who fall behind on child support may experience even more troubles, such as being unable to leave the country. As a result, it is crucial for you to understand the consequences of back child support and do what you can to stay current.

According to the U.S. Department of State, you cannot obtain a passport if you owe more than $2,500 worth of child support. If you want to apply for a passport and have over $2,500 in back child support, you will have to pay what you owe beforehand. Even once you have satisfied your child support obligations, it can take a few weeks before you will be able to apply for a passport, which underlines the importance of handling these matters in a timely manner.

If you cannot pay the child support you owe, you should take steps to prevent your obligations from turning your life upside down. You may have various options on the table, such as modifying your child support order or setting up a payment plan. If your income recently dropped or there were other significant changes in your life, child support modification may help you make your monthly payments on time.

Please understand that this post is not intended as a substitute for legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Lexington Office
430 Bedford Street, Suite 390
Lexington, MA 02420

Phone: 978-296-5107
Fax: 781-861-1833
Lexington Law Office Map

Nashua Office
98 Spit Brook Road
Suite 1105
Nashua, NH 03062

Phone: 781-325-1786
Fax: 603-324-5101
Map & Directions

Andover Office
68 Main Street, Suite 4
Andover, MA 01810

Phone: 781-325-1786
Map & Directions