Can child custody agreements be changed?

For divorcing parents, one of the most nerve-wracking and potentially contentious aspects of a divorce revolves around child custody decisions. Once the terms of a child custody agreement are decided, for a child’s sake and to provide continuity, it’s important that changes are avoided. There are, however, circumstances when modifications to an existing child custody arrangement may be necessary or warranted.

For example, a parent’s job or schedule change may necessitate changes related to when each parent has custody of a child. Additionally, there may be cases where one parent petitions the court for a modification for reasons related to a belief that a child’s best interests are not being met.

In cases where parents don’t necessarily agree that custody changes are necessary, the parent seeking the change must file a Complaint for Motion with the family court. A judge will then take several factors into consideration when deciding whether or not to make adjustments to an existing custody order.

With any custody decision, a child’s overall wellbeing is paramount. In many cases, however, divorced parents have very different views about what is truly in a child’s best interests. A judge will look at how a child is doing in school and socially as well as what his or her relationship is like with both parents. Additionally, in cases where a petitioning parent is concerned about a child’s safety or welfare due to a parent’s alleged drug or alcohol use or mental state, a judge may take action to determine what extent, if any, this should influence a custody change.

Matters related to child custody are highly emotional and even the most well-intentioned parent can end up saying or doing things that he or she will regret and that may irreparably damage the relationship between co-parents. It’s wise, therefore, to enlist the help of a family law attorney who can provide advice and assistance through what is often a difficult process.

Source: Massachusetts Court System, “Changing Your Child Custody or Parenting Time,” Dec. 8, 2015


Related Posts

Powerful. Passionate. Experienced.

We have the experience and expertise to handle any legal issue you may have, and we're here to help you every step of the way.

How May We Help You?

Pay online today!