Jeffrey C. Melick has been named one of the Ten Best Lawyers in Massachusetts by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, has been recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer by Boston Magazine, and has received the Avvo Client’s Choice Award.
He is a seasoned litigator with more than 30 years of experience in the practice of law. His area of concentration covers all aspects of domestic relations matters including divorce, alimony, custody, child support, parenting plans, modification, guardianships and paternity issues. He also prepares premarital and marital agreements, which can help reduce litigation and adverse implications of divorce. Mr. Melick’s reputation for excellence has been built on his extensive trial and appellate experience in the state and federal courts. He has been appointed by the Probate and Family Court to serve as a Guardian ad Litem and as a Special Master to handle discovery disputes between litigating parties.
Mr. Melick has earned the designation of Certified Financial Litigator by the American Academy of Certified Financial Litigators. The AACFL requires its members to complete a specialized financial and tax training program and pass a comprehensive exam in order to achieve this certification. The designation is designed to create an elite group of practitioners dedicated to meeting the highest standards of financial representation and ethical practice. Mr. Melick is a Founding Member of that organization and has considerable experience in business issues and business litigation.
Mr. Melick is also a certified divorce mediator. Mediation serves as a helpful alternative to litigation where couples work together to dissolve their marriage.
Mr. Melick’s dedication to children in divorce cases led him to cofound the Attorneys Representing Children (ARC) programs in the Middlesex, Worcester, Essex, and Berkshire County Probate and Family Courts. The programs provide legal representation to children in high conflict custody cases and give them a voice in the process. He serves as volunteer child counsel and provides training to judges and attorneys involved in the ARC programs. He also published an article in the Massachusetts Law Review entitled “The Role of Child Counsel in the Attorneys Representing Children Programs in the Probate and Family Courts.”
Mr. Melick is an active lecturer for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) and other bar organizations teaching trial advocacy, divorce law, mediation and other legal subjects to practicing attorneys. Among other, he served as a member of the faculty at the MCLE Annual Family Law Conference for the panel addressing Adult Children with Special Needs, the MCLE Annual Divorce Trial Practice Seminar teaching lawyers how to try divorce cases, and the MCLE Voice of the Child Seminar.
A prolific writer, he has published many other law review articles and chapters in various law books. For example, he authored the chapter on asset division for the LexisNexis Massachusetts Family Law Practice Guide, the chapter on marital agreements for the MCLE Divorce Law Practice Manual, and chapters on trial advocacy for the MCLE Courtroom Advocacy Manual and MCLE Basic Practice Manual.
Areas Of Practice
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Financial Litigator
- Certified Family Law Mediator
- Massachusetts, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2003
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 1983
- Haverford College , Haverford, Pennsylvania
- B.A. – 1980
- “Division of Property”, LexisNexis Massachusetts Family Law Practice Guide
- “Trial Motion Practice”, MCLE Massachusetts Courtroom Advocacy Manual
- “Preparing and Trying a Civil Case,” MCLE Basic Practice Manual
- “Marital Agreements,” MCLE Massachusetts Divorce Law Practice Manual
- “The Role of Child Counsel in the Attorneys Representing Children Program in the Probate and Family Courts,” 95 Massachusetts Law Review 223 (2013)
- “Product Liability,” MCLE Tort Law Manual
- “Interference with Business Relations,” MCLE Tort Law Manual
- “Voice of the Child”, MCLE, 2017
- “Trying Divorce Cases”, MCLE, 2015
- “Adult Children with Special Needs”, MCLE, 2014
- “Trial Advocacy”, MCLE, 2010
Honors and Awards
- Boston Magazine, Law & Politics, Super Lawyer
- AVVO Clients’ Choice Award
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, Ten Best Lawyers in Massachusetts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Academy of Certified Financial Litigators, Founding Member
- Greater Boston Family Law American Inn of Court
Pro Bono Activities
- Soccer and baseball coach for over 30 of his children’s teams
- Hamilton Town Moderator, 2017-2019
- Hamilton Planning Board, Chairman, 2013-2017
- Sherborn Advisory Committee, 1999-2001
- Sherborn Land Acquisition Committee, 1996-1999